How to Get Your M1 Endorsement or M2 Endorsement

The most permissive motorcycle endorsement

How to Get Your M1 Endorsement or M2 Endorsement

The M1 endorsement is the most permissive motorcycle endorsement. It allows the driving of motorcycles as well as the vehicles permitted by the M2 endorsement, such as a motor driven cycle (engine of 149 cc or less). All M endorsement classes allow the driving of mopeds. A motor scooter can be driven by a license holder of any class.

The process for getting an M Class endorsement is very much like that of getting a drivers license. The applicant must be at least 15 and 1/2 years of age, go to the DMV, fill out an application, give a thumbprint, verify name and legal presence, pass a vision test and pass the written motorcycle test. After this, the applicant will be given a permit to practice driving the vehicle of the corresponding class to their license.

After practicing and having your permit for at least 6 months, you may test for a license. The motorcycle tests are administered by the CHP. If you pass, you will receive a certificate of completion which you will submit to the DMV. You will then receive either the motorcycle license or endorsement, depending on whether you have another license or not.

motorcycle endorsement

Get in Touch

7 + 8 =

Share This