How To Get Your Special Driver Certificate

Licenses, Endorsements, Certificates

How to Get Your Special Driver Certificate

This certificate is granted by the California Highway Patrol, and the application must be submitted at a CHP station. In order to get this certificate, one must be cleared by a Department of Justice or FBI background check and show proof of state residence for seven consecutive years prior to application date. Applicants who cannot show the 7 year residency must submit an additional set of fingerprints to the CHP. The application fee is $25 for the initial certificate and $12 for a renewal.

This certificate grants an additional privilege to transport developmentally disabled passengers; the driver must also be licensed in the relevant license class and hold a passenger endorsement as well.

The special driver certificate allows the holder to drive transport for those who are developmentally disabled.

VC 12523.6

Get in Touch

10 + 15 =

Share This